Sunday, July 18, 2010

PPV Night 1: Money in the Bank with Sister

I am watching WWE's Money in the Bank PPV with my sister, tonight. Although I absolutely hate to give Vince McMahon any more of our hard earned money, especially when his company seems to be specifically dedicated to booking decisions that, oh, I don't know, piss me the hell off, watching Sister get excited for the people she likes has been fun. During Cody Rhodes' few little hope spots during the first match of the evening, the WWE Smackdown! Money in the Bank Ladder Match, I thought that her squealing was going to make my eardrums pop. I'm not entirely a fan of Cody Rhodes', although as a fellow former high school wrestler from the same state who competed in the same tournaments and probably against some of the same people I do have to give him some love,, but I just don't think that I'm in his target demographic, especially in his new gimmick as the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. I did feel myself getting excited a little bit during the hope spot at the end for Christian and Matt Hardy, the two people still in WWE that I find myself marking for hardest (along with, I don't know, the rest of everybody else in every live crowd I've been in where the two wrestled), but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Vince and company weren't going to allow anybody who is his own man to go over company golden boys like Drew McIntyre (and his lisp and his diabetes) so I felt kind of silly after they both fell off the ladder. It was nice to see Kane win, though. Kane has been involved in so many freaking stupid angles--and I've been watching him for so long, that I can't feel bad for that at all, so in that I count the first MitB ladder match a success. The RAW Divas match wasn't awful, and so far Mysterio vs. Swagger has been good (especially the throw off the top rope by Swagger). The Wholesome, Adorable Canadian Children vs. the Wholesome, Adorable Samoan Children was also good, even if thought that David Hart Smith had suffered a concussion or broken his neck or something at one sort of scary moment.

More to come, probably, about the RAW Money in the Bank match, later.

RAW Money in the Bank ladder match wasn't bad, either. I went in terrified that Randy Orton would win and... really... do we really need Randy Orton as champion? Again? Really? Really? This constant quoting of the Miz's catch phrase is my way of honoring, I guess, our Money in the Bank winner... John Morrison! No, no, I'm kidding... our winner was... Little Spike Dudley? What the hell? He wasn't even in the match! No, no, no, our winner was the Miz. After an exciting math, with a hope spot by Evan Bourne that caused my sister to shriek so loudly that dogs a mile down the road started barking and a seven man team up against Mark Henry that make look like a beast, and a clever spot on the ladder with Maryse and Ted DiBiase, the Miz took the briefcase and was so happy that he actually cried. This was a beautiful moment, to me, and I was able to appreciate it almost as much as Layla, my little English Muffin, retaining her belt against Kelly Kelly.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe shouldn't Layla be your lil' English crumpet? ;-P I enjoyed letting your sister enjoy. Minus the ear piercing shrieks. I would enjoy it myself had Matt Hardy or Christian, or even Edge or Jericho actually won. La sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta give it to Kane cause of all that he's put up with over the years... he's stuck with em through thick, thin and Katie Vick >.<

    ReplyDelete