Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WWE NXT 1: Percy Watson, OH YEAH!!!

Okay, I know that the crowd is probably supposed to be behind MVP and all, here, since he's an established face and Percy is just an upstart with unusual glasses and horrific yellow underpants, but they seem to be with me on this one. Percy is the man and gets a crowd reaction that some of WWE's main eventers should envy just by pointing towards the ceiling and shouting, "Oh yeah!" This man could be the next decade's Rock to Randy Orton's Stone Cold Steve Austin, and this should terrify us all.

Neo-Cody Rhodes is all kinds of shades of Simply Ravishing Rick Rude. A good wrestling heel is usually just a little bit homosexual, and Cody seems to bring that vibe in spades. He needs to top it all off with a big, manly mustache and a mat of chest hair, though, or the boy's just posing. Wait, what? I haven't said anything about Husky, you say? He's a fat boy with a chin-strap; I don't have much to say! Well, all kidding aside, Husky is a great, old school wrestling heel. He's built like he could legitimately hurt you, and hearkens back to the sleazy villains of the seventies and eighties in GCW and JCP.

Lucky Cannon is about as exciting as a naked wall. I'll have more to say about him when he engages in a feud with his worst enemy, the Loaded Barbell.

Eli Cottonwood... makes me vaguely uneasy. What? Don't judge me! My sister is afraid of Percy Watson. Eli is just a little bit to "cabin in the woods man love" for my comfort, and I like my wrestling heels to make me angry with their cheating ways, not make me feel like I need to look over my shoulder. Guy is big and strong and creepy and could go a long way... he just needs to gain about thirty or so pounds and name his finishing move 'the Deliverance Drop.'

Alex Riley is a good wrestler and has a great, fun loving personality. His type is sort of over-saturating the WWE right now--the Miz and Jack Swagger sort of have a lock on jocky, douche-bag heels--but maybe, just maybe, we could have a subversion in a jocky, slightly douchey face? Or maybe he should just go back to dating Veronica and flushing Archie's head in the toilet.

Kaval is easily the best wrestler out of the rookies this season, probably because he's nowhere near being a rookie. I was worried at first that his pairing with the incredibly adorable Simply Flawless might overshadow his simple bad-assery but their fun-loving persona seems to enhance his serious business. The guy also looks like the love-child of Krillin and Vegeta, and so must be supported.

Joe Hennig is a good wrestler, but hasn't done a whole lot to inspire me. Maybe it's the fact that we've got a glut of handsome second generation wrestlers in underpants right now or that awful fake name, but I just can't get behind the fellow right now. Maybe when he Brett and Ted and Maryse form the Fortunate Sons?

No comments:

Post a Comment