Sunday, July 11, 2010

What is a Real Man? 1: Don't be a god damned idiot.

You know, the way guys act sometimes really fries my butt, as the great Lt. Colonel Henry Blake would say. Early this morning, former WWE Women's and Diva's champion Mickie James (twitter.com/mickiejamesdiva) tweeted:

"Got back to my room a bit ago... To find a note from a fan tucked under my door! Wth?! Pacing the floor.... How did they find me?! Don't know if I should be flattered or freaked. I'm going with both... Oh boy..."

and

"So needless to say I barely slept. Weird night! Deadbolted the door. Up every half hour.. Knocking on my door! Seriously.. Os there no such thing as respect or privacy anymore?! Calls from private #'s(which I never answer)... Hmmm... Weird! Just freaking weird!"

Poor kid. I really feel bad that this gal couldn't feel safe in her own bloody hotel room, so I have to say to the guy who did this... is being a dick-head just your hobby, or do you plan on making a career of it? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, who on earth thinks it's a good idea to meet a woman by slipping notes under her door and harassing her all night? That's middle school junk brother, middle school. If that's when you reached your highest level of social development I feel sorry for you. If I see a woman that I think is attractive out in public, whether she's Mickie James, former WWE Diva, or Rebekah the Cute Barista from Barnes and Noble, I'll walk up and say, "Why hello there, how are you doing?" She may choose to not respond to me and, if she doesn't, then, hey, it's her loss, right? I'm a wonderful person with lots of interesting things to say. But odds are she will at least say, "Fine thanks, how are you?" This will lead to pleasant conversation and getting to know each other. If it goes any further, and we eventually get to know each other better, then beautiful. If it doesn't... then, well, I still had a nice conversation with a little cutie-pie, right? And that's always a victory in my book.

Now, as one who is always willing to admit bias, I might be particularly sensitive to this subject for a personal reason or two. I have, in the past, dated girls who were involved in the beauty pageant scene, including a runner up (I forget the number) to Miss Teen Georgia. I mean, hell, if you type in her name on google you'll get modeling pictures, so I know a little bit about what it's like for a pretty girl in the public eye, and so I'm full of empathy there. I am also a large and very powerful person in aspect. As a six foot tall, three hundred pound power lifter with the requisite power lifter goatee with around 15 percent body fat, I can be kind of an intimidating presence when I walk into a room and have to turn sideways to get through the door. Have you ever seen a guy who weighs three hundred pounds at fifteen percent? I look like I ought to be trying to eat Frodo in the mines of Moria, and it takes some doing sometimes to convince folks that I'm not going to grind their bones for bread. Guys like this little jeeter who aggravated Miss James last night make it harder for all of us... little women feel like they have to be afraid all the time, and big men have to walk on thinner and thinner eggshells.

Now, I don't agree with this article totally because... well, let's just say there's a whole hell of a lot of problems with it, but until I can write a better one I'd suggest anybody interested in how to behave around ladies go here: http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest-blogger-starling-schrodinger%E2%80%99s-rapist-or-a-guy%E2%80%99s-guide-to-approaching-strange-women-without-being-maced/. As I said, I'm not in love with this post, but it and the comments following it will give at least some food for thought and maybe provoke discussion, at least until I can write a better one!

2 comments:

  1. A lot of the problems right now is that everything is done electronically. Either by phone, cell phone, or worse even -- Facebook. Or even Twitter. So many people don't have a clue how to actually approach people. There would still be idiots even if folks were doing this meeting and getting to know each other the old fashioned way -- always was, always will be -- but so much of it now happens because frankly there is a whole generation that doesn't understand how to communicate face to face. YMMV of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, and I tend to agree. Use these things as networking tools, not a replacement for actual contact. 'Hello' is not a dirty word!

    ReplyDelete