Monday, July 19, 2010

Women's Wrestling 5: I finally weigh in on the Nikki Roxx fiasco, a month late

I love TNA wrestling, and I respect its president, Dixie Carter. This is why I have decided to finally weigh in on the mess that came up with Nikki Roxx back at the Victory Road Pay Per View, when Nikki was informed that she would be on the losing end of a retirement match only minutes before competing.

This was low class, Dixie; this was bush league. This is the kind of shit that Vince McMahon and Johnny Ace come up with, not what I'd expect from a decent, Southern woman who runs a decent, Southern wrestling promotion. I have always respected you, Dixie, because you seem to really care about your workers, the backbone of your company. The schedule is light, the wellness policy is... well, it's nonexistent, but it doesn't have the same problems that the WWE Wellness policy does, all the same, and you don't force workers into situations which they are uncomfortable with, as a general rule. You let people develop their characters, you let them have room to breathe, and you don't force them to fit a single mold. This is why dropping Nikki, rumored to be because she wasn't "pretty" enough, is such a disgusting situation. For one thing, Nikki is a very physically attractive woman. She is athletic and symmetrical, and beyond that is an accomplished fitness competitor. Even further, Nikki seems--although I don't know her--to be a really kind and decent human being, beautiful inside and out, and she didn't deserve getting screwed like that, not by a company that she's sweated and literally bled for. This was low, Dixie; this was some low class, stinking, black, grainy, stomach cancer, sewer shit, Dixie, and it's beneath you. Beneath Vince and Bikini Johnny? Hell no! But beneath Dixie Carter? I think so, or at least I want to. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't like to think so--I hate being--wrong, but maybe I am.

Furthermore, Dixie, this was a terrible booking decision. The Knockouts are one of your best divisions--heck, in my opinion they are the best!--and Madison Rayne is a great little worker. No one could enjoy her match or appreciate her victory, though, with what had just happened to Nikki Roxx. Any human being with a grain of soul remaining, on seeing her face before the beginning of that match, just wanted to put his or her arms around Nikki, to tell her it was going to be all right. You can't get hyped up for a title match in that situation, not if you're a human being. Afterwards, that same human being with a lettuce shred of soul couldn't boo Madison with a clean spirit, excited and waiting for the heel to get her just desserts the next time around, because that human soul would just want to wipe the blood and tears off Nikki's face, to comfort her, to make her feel better. Maybe that's just a macho trip I'm on, by God, and I know I'm a little too protective of ladies maybe, like I was living in the age of chivalry or something, but I like to think that it's just basic human decency and wrestling booking 101. If people are so uncomfortable that they can't hate the heel more than they hate company management... well, there's no reason for them to watch, right? I used to say that I was going to be quits with TNA when you guys found a crappy reason to cut Daffney--I've been a fan of hers for a long time and her appearance was one of the reasons I started paying attention to the KOs in the first place--but even if you and she come to a parting of the ways, I've been impressed enough and become invested enough in TNA as an alternative to WWE that I'll stick around. However, this will only hold, with me and many others, until TNA stops being an alternative to WWE, on stage and behind it. Be the alternative, Dixie... work hard, treat your workers and your fans well, and we'll treat you and your company the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment