Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Strength and Deconditioning 1: Who I am and what I do here.

As a neophyte to intermediate power lifter, I spend way more time than any normal human being should thinking about how to pick up big, heavy pieces of metal. I say "normal" human being because, well, let's face it... an elite power lifter who can jack 650 pounds off his chest raw and squat 950 raw isn't normal in any way, shape or form... sometimes you begin to wonder if he's even a human being! My 435 on bench is nothing to sneeze at, though, and it's not the kind of thing you get by pissing around in the gym, talking about the great set of curls you just did in the squat rack (all while the huge, bearded, tattooed biker got behind you got angrier and angrier...). Although I'm relatively weak compared to really big power lifters, my raw bench and raw squat have been bigger than most I've encountered in commercial gyms and university gyms, or at least the university gyms which didn't cater to a nationally ranked Division I football program (where I can still at least hold my own, thank goodness).

What does this all add up to? Hopefully it puts me in a pretty good position to help other normal people, who maybe have good leverages but aren't complete genetic freaks yet, to build up their bench press and squat. I might not help you win any world records--hell, I haven't won any yet--and I can't help you to develop sexy six-pack vampire abs (who needs em!?!?) but I can promise that you'll grow bigger, thicker, somewhat leaner and a hell of a lot stronger if you follow my advice. I've seen a guy's bench press max jump twenty-five pounds in two and a half weeks using my protocols, protocols liberally cribbed from such enormous raw bench masters as Hugh Cassidy (who used back of sets to keep blood in the muscle) and Kenny Fantano, master of pressing from a dead stop to torment the CNS into responding. Now, the guy who I was coaching is a total beginner, and that means a lot for quick gains in strength, but that much growth in less than three weeks is pretty darned impressive.

So, as this little blog goes along, I'll put up my theories on lifting and training, eating (here's a hint... do a lot of it). I'll also review comic books (I'm a big ol' comic book nerd), and ramble about professional wrestling--mostly stuff like Shimmer Women Athletes but some other stuff. I hope anyone who comes across this enjoys, learns something, has her his life changed... any of that good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Woot for intro! I also think you should discuss philosophical topics :3 We have plenty of these talks and I think articulating them for a blog would be wonderful for further discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed! I'm thinking of a post on the nature of maya and the time flow tomorrow, if it works out in my head right, tonight. I'm either what they call a 'Renaissance Man' or 'heavily attention deficit disordered.' I'm going to go for 'Renaissance Man' and hope no one corrects me :D

    ReplyDelete